PB287Q_L

PB287Q 4K For The Masses – CES 2014

One of the most exciting new components of 2013 was the introduction of 4K monitors. These ultra high resolution monitors ushered in an era of fidelity, detail, and sharpness never seen before outside of multi monitor setups. It really offers another level of immersion that draws you in and knocks you out. The main criticism offered from some enthusiasts and PC gamers was the size and cost of PQ321 our first 4K monitor. I am excited to announce and detail an upcoming new 4K monitor that will usher in new era of ultra high resolution, image fidelity as well as immersion but in a smaller 28 inch size and at significantly lower price.

Before we jump into the new PB287Q there are a few other important points to be aware of when evaluating the state of 4K. Currently 4K makes sense for prosumers interested in high resolution photography and videography as well PC gamers. PC gamers can be thankful that modern generation game engines offer scalability in their resolution engines supporting these ultra high resolutions so the need for content is not present it is in the same way it it is apparent in the world of 4K video. Whether it be Battlefiled 4, Call Of Duty Ghosts, Batman Arkham Origins or Assassins Creed Black Flag there are robust and diverse range of games put out over the last couple of years ready for 4K gaming. At the same time  we have had consistent improvements in GPU performance over the last two years that have put the high spend spectrum of GPUs in a great position to offer playable performance at high resolutions with high IQ settings. With games being covered and the performance needed to push those 4K worth of pixels availible PC gamers are primed and ready for next generation of PC gaming.

Prosumers into the digital photography as well as videography are also in a great place. With rapid advancements in sensor technology there are no more than ever a wide range of devices present allowing for ultra high resolution content to be captured or recorded.  Working on a 4K monitor from a content creation perspective opens a level of flexibility previously only available through the use of  multi monitor setups. The benefit though is not only in the increase desktop “work space” but in the improvement in sharpness and overall fidelity offered a ultra high definition monitor. Having the ability being able to see high resolution content  in that much more detail truly helps to propel the creative professional or prosumer. Last but not least are content professionals working in 3D content freation or cad where the sharpness and increased resolution can pay dividends in the usability improvements.

With this in mind ASUS has been working on designing and developing a monitor that would offer the image quality,  response time and size being communicated by PC enthusiasts and PC gamers.  Here at CES 2014 the new PB287Q is being unveiled offering up 28 inches of 4K resolution, 1ms response time and native 60Hz operation. Based on a newly developed panel that is lower in cost but not in quality it allows the new PB287Q to be aggressively priced with a projected $799 MSRP. After spending some hands on time with the monitor I have come away thoroughly impressed. Rich detail and good color saturation, that is a check. Good grey-scale and black reproduction, that is a check. Sharpness and a bright even picture, that is also a check.  To top it all it features a special blue light filter that helps to reduce flicker and reduce eyestrain. Lets take a look at some of the pictures of the PB287Q. Keep in mind that CES makes for poor back-lighting for photos. I cannot wait to put it through a few hours of gaming to get a sense of the increased FOV, sharpness and clarity and overall immersion of gaming on a 28 inch 4K monitor! Enough with the specs lets check out some pictures of the PB287Q.

WP_20140107_09_03_36_Pro__highres WP_20140107_08_52_41_Pro WP_20140107_08_53_31_Pro WP_20140107_08_53_21_Pro

Hopefully a few of these images give you a small sense of the sharpness and fidelity that the monitor produces. I can tell you playing games at 4K or watching high bit rate video looks stunning. Another important usage note is users coming from a 27inch monitor will free right at home not feeling that the monitor will overcrowd them or overshadow them. The monitor rounds out its technical specifications with a great deal of flexibility allowing for a extensive customization range for your desk environment. The range of adjustment options include swivel, tilt, pivot and height adjustment. VESA mounting is supported as well.

That wrap up our quick look at the new PB278Q I guess I better start making some space….Stay tuned for more information on the new PB287Q. With that I will leave you with a few other photos of this new 4K monitor.

121 Responses to "PB287Q 4K For The Masses – CES 2014"

1. Michael Bivins
    Michael Bivins 3 months ago .Reply

ASUS does it again! How awesome will this be… Now I will finally buy one.

JJ 3 months ago .Reply

I have been surprisingly impressed by this panel in regards to initial color reproduction, grey scale and black reproduction ( at least in full screen images or videos ). If you were waiting on 4K this is a great monitor to consider, especially at the projected MSRP. I am a big fan of the size ( 28 inches ) as well which I feel is a bit more manageable than the almost 32 inches of the PQ321.

• Alex
      Alex 2 months ago .Reply

When will this be available for purchase?

JJ 2 months ago .Reply

We do not have a confirmed release date yet but stay tuned for more information soon.

2. Michael Bivins
    Michael Bivins 3 months ago .Reply

I should have went to CES this year. I could have met JJ and my next monitor all at the same time.

JJ 3 months ago .Reply

Happy New Year Michael! There are definitely some awesome new monitors coming out from us in 2014!

• Mike Bivins
        Mike Bivins 3 months ago .Reply

Happy New Year to you JJ!! Yes I will be getting some ASUS monitors this year and am so excited you guys have put these out. I know the will surpass my expectations. I will let you know what I think for sure.

3. daverrr
    daverrr 3 months ago .Reply

Dammmm that is one nice monitor. I want one.

4. ubaldasX
    ubaldasX 3 months ago .Reply

I am getting one aswell hope asus provide beast

5. coolbrys
    coolbrys 3 months ago .Reply

I gotta say this will be purchased immediately upon release so….. hurry up! Haha, thanks for the work on an awesome 60Hz monitor, I cannot wait for this.

6. danny
    danny 3 months ago .Reply

When?! So stoked!

JJ 3 months ago .Reply

Soon! We will release more details as we approach the launch of this monitor.

7. dcasewoods
    dcasewoods 3 months ago .Reply

JJ, I have a question for you… As a 60Hz 4K Monitor, will this panel use the same MST tech as the larger (much more expensive) 4K Asus Monitor? I am considering a new Mac Pro, and currently Apple only supports Sharp and Asus’ versions of MST, NOT Dell’s. So is this the same MST as used in previous Asus 4K Monitors – Hence compatible with the newest Mac Pros?

8. Gradius
    Gradius 3 months ago .Reply

MINE! MINE! MINE! MINE!

JJ 3 months ago .Reply

It is an awesome monitor, I think your excitement is mirrored by many.

• Danny Woods
        Danny Woods 3 months ago .Reply

That is amazing news about the release date! JJ, one last question. I know MST support through DP1.2 isn’t standardized yet and that’s the reason people were having problems with connecting a Dell 4K to the new MacPro while achieving a 60Hz frame rate.. However, Apple has incorporated the larger Asus 4K monitor into its Mac OS X support. So my question is this – will this display use the same firmware for MST through the DisplayPort 1.2 connection to achieve60Hz

JJ 3 months ago .Reply

We are currently attempting to ensure compatibility but can confirm at this stage whether it will be. As we approach the release date more information will be released in relation to OSX / MAC PRO compatibility / interoperability.

• dcasewoods
            dcasewoods 3 months ago .

Hey man, that’s awesome news. When I asked Dell the same question it was something along the lines of “We do not do any testing with Apple products or OS X”. So “trying” is good enough for me. You had success with the 31.5″ model and supposedly it works the best with the 2013 Mac Pro, so I’m sure you guys will do just as good a job. Thanks for your speedy responses. Asus kills it.

JJ 3 months ago .

No problem. We are doing our best to be open to the communities feedback and trying to ensure the best interoperability and compatibility.

• Michael Bivins
            Michael Bivins 3 months ago .

JJ this is exactly what sets ASUS and you apart from the rest. You’re # in my book as you know.

9. danny
    danny 3 months ago .Reply

Please keep us posted if it goes on pre-sale or a release date!

10. Andrew
    Andrew 3 months ago .Reply

JJ – top guy, keep the MST / OSX info coming and release date, I am already in the virtual queue for this bad boy and am also building a new 4k gaming rig decked out with Asus Extreme board, and 290x, to sit next to the macpro to share this screen

11. JimmyL
    JimmyL 3 months ago .Reply

JJ,

Thank you for all the info. I have a Microsoft Surface Pro 2 (with the docking station if it matters) & both have a mini DP output (confirmed with MS it supports 4K resolution & DP v1.2). I use it for productivity, web browsing & YouTube at home (no gaming). My question is, I know DP v1.2 supports the MST tech for 60Hz. Does that (being able to utilize 60Hz instead of 30Hz) still apply even though I’ll be using a mini DP-to-DP cable or does the original source have to have a DP output? Thanks & looking forward to it!

12. JDG1980
    JDG1980 3 months ago .Reply

Just curious, but last year you announced a 4K monitor with a 39″ VA panel. What happened to that? Is it still scheduled to be released?

JJ 3 months ago .Reply

We only have previously announced 1 specific 4K monitor for release / production and this was the current PQ321. Otherwise any other monitors would have been just prototypes or possible options. We have a number of other 4K monitors currently in design and development but are carefully collecting feedback from the community as a whole prior to moving forward. Our next 4K monitor will be the PB287Q which is confirmed for release in late Q1.

• stanley
        stanley 2 months ago .Reply

That’s very disappointing that we wont see that 39 inch VA monitor released in the near future. I guess you guys were really just teasing us at computex.

A 4K 60hz monitor that features G-Sync eliminates the need for MST and is exactly what a lot of gamers are looking for even if the response time only 5ms.

13. dcasewoods
    dcasewoods 3 months ago .Reply

JJ – AKA Dr. Asus! I’m gonna build a rig for this jammer. Asus all day.

JJ 3 months ago .Reply

SWEET it is will be an awesome rig! Thanks for the support.

14. John Connor, no relation to sarah

Too much want, take my money please! I am throwing cash at my 30hz 4k Seiki screen but nothing is happening….why isn’t anything happening….WHHHHYYYYYY

JJ are you guys still going to produce the 39″ 60hz 4k VA panel? I NEED the 39″ for the office! Please tell me you making those too!

JJ 3 months ago .Reply

Thanks for the feedback. As of right now their are no immediate plans for a 39inch 4K monitor especially VA based as there are a number of considerations with VA panels.

15. John Connor, no relation to sarah.....I'm baaaaack

Ahhhh such news hurts my chest, but I really appreciate the feedback JJ your the best!

The one thing I have noticed with my 39″ Seiki 4K VA panel is the insane crushing of black levels…its downright crippling in games at times. But 39″ 4K is perfect for my work productivity….I just want a 60hz version! Is there anyway I can get my hands on that floor model you guys showed back in Computex 2013 :-)

JJ 3 months ago .Reply

LOL thanks for the feedback. As of right now there are some possible plans on a larger monitor for 4K but we are going to continue to collect feedback as we move towards which type and sizes of monitors to consideration for the remainder of 2014.

16. John Connor....Its ok Im from the future

Dear Senator JJ,

Well you have already secured my campaign donations for a 120hz ROG Swift 1440p & PB287Q, so you may as well go for the wallet trifecta and unleash the 39!

I solved the black crush issue of the Seiki VA panel by dialing the brightness up, while dialing the backlight down, that gives the best compromise for white / black / grey level and eye fatigue….and it looks really, really good except for the bane of 30hz.

I know you guys have a million profitibility things to consider before putting capital into new products, but you could market the 39″ towards engineers, architects, programmers and real estate appraisers….well maybe not appaisers because they are scum!

Anyway, the large Ultra def screen is invaluable because it allows those professionals to display full sets of blueprints, schematics, multiple full size web pages and code without having to squint. Gamers and graphic artists are not the only ones who need & appreciate quality displays and 39″ really lets 4k shine!

JJ 2 months ago .Reply

Thanks for the great feedback. It is apppreciated. We are continuing to expand display focus at content professionals and professional environments. This could be an option depending on how much feedback and interest we see. Again thank you for the providing the feedback and the perspective from another set of users!

17. Tom
    Tom 2 months ago .Reply

What gpu would give good results in gaming with this monitor?

Thanks for any information you can provide.

JJ 2 months ago .Reply

It really depends on the game and the IQ settings you are looking at overall my recommendation would be a GTX 770 class gpu or higher in SLI for a good to great gameplay experience. A single GPU could be possible as well but really varies as it is heavily game engine and IQ settings dependent. GRID 2 is different than BF4 which is different than TOTAL WAR which is different than BIOSHOCK.

18. JR
    JR 2 months ago .Reply

Does this monitor use PWM to adjust brightness? PWM causes flicker at brightness levels less than 100%.

19. dcasewoods
    dcasewoods 2 months ago .Reply

JJ you said before Q1 ends right? Wouldn’t that be before March 31st? Is Asus planning on doing a pre-order? I’m just getting antsy, as I need a 4K Display and I’m really trying to hold out for this one! Any updates are appreciated!

JJ 2 months ago .Reply

We are hoping for before Q1 but it could roll into early Q2. Stay tuned for more information soon.

20. Michael Bivins
    Michael Bivins 2 months ago .Reply

Sorry Dude. I already pre-ordered and bought them all.

21. fc
    fc 2 months ago .Reply

A simple question: I have a macbook air 2011 – will it be able to manage such a screen at 60 Ghz or is it only for the mac pro and the latest macbook pro (13 too ?) ?

JJ 2 months ago .Reply

I believe based on the output capability your macbook would NOT be able to support native 4K and 60Hz operation.

22. Fat Jerry the unslim Duke of York peppermint patties
    Fat Jerry the unslim Duke of York peppermint patties 2 months ago .Reply

Is this going to operate on MST with dual-scalers to achieve native 4k 60hz like the PQ321Q? Or is it gonna have a beefy new TCON that handles perfect 60hz 4k without the need for MST mode? I gotsta know!

JJ 2 months ago .Reply

The panel does not need to operate in MST, it is a native 60Hz panel which is supported by DP 1.2.

23. Waro
    Waro 2 months ago .Reply

PLEASE give us the 4K VA monitor with 39 inches or at least > 30 inches.

JJ 2 months ago .Reply

Appreciate your feedback. We are still collecting more feedback on where our design and development will be targeted for larger displays including those that may feature G-SYNC or 4K. Additionally as there are a multitude of new and different panel types we will continue to evaluate the experience of the panel more importantly over the default of selecting a specific panel type. This allows us to look at all the options available as opposed to limiting our design goals.

24. 007rolf
    007rolf 2 months ago .Reply

JJ how is the color consistency for of vertical/horizontal axis viewing?

JJ 2 months ago .Reply

Cannot comment on it as the final MP sample will vary from the samples I viewed at CES. I will say though I was impressed with horizontal view angle performance on the PB. The high resolution content along with the new improved 10 bit panel really helps. As we get closer to the release I will definitely have more hands on impressions. Stay tuned.

25. Tommy Woerner
    Tommy Woerner 2 months ago .Reply

JJ, I would really love the 39″ 4k monitor. I believe most gamers with huge desks could support it. And the DPI is much better support 4k at 39″ than at a smaller size screen. This is also really great for ppl that don’t want multi monitor but want a bigger experience. Please urge Asus to do it!

JJ 2 months ago .Reply

Thanks for the feedback. We are considering larger 4K monitor options but are continuing to collect feedback from on users regarding which sizes make the most sense.

26. Thomas Corsini
    Thomas Corsini 2 months ago .Reply

Any updates on potential release dates?

JJ 2 months ago .Reply

Not yet stay tuned for more information soon.

27. payluder
    payluder 2 months ago .Reply

I was planning to buy the Asus PA279Q for my photo editing and I have the late 2012 MacBook pro with discrete graphic card. Should I hold off on buying it and get this instead? Its about the same price I believe. Im also worried if my MacBook can even support this 4k monitor.

JJ 2 months ago .Reply

You will be able to output the display but it would be limited in the resolution. The maximum display output would be limited to 2560×1440.

28. edward
    edward 2 months ago .Reply

I would also want to buy a 39″ monitor. The PPI of the apple display provides about 109 Pixels/inch. The closest size in a monitor that matches that is about 40″. A 39″ monitor from you, even at $3K, would result in purchase

29. Stanley
    Stanley 2 months ago .Reply

Just throwing it out there but the 39 inch 4K would be pretty much the same pixel density as a 2560x1440p monitor, which is perfect because scaling on windows (even 8.1) is hit or miss, especially 3rd party apps. A 39 inch monitor would be great for those of us who want a larger monitor but aren’t too fond of surround/multiple monitors.

That said, I’d almost pick up any monitor < 31.5 inch that has G-Sync from Asus. In fact, is it possible for Asus to prep ALL of their 4K monitors to receive a G-Sync module? I can't imagine you guys having to go out of your way that much to make it compatible from the get go allowing those of us who want to spend the extra money for a module to DIY.

JJ 2 months ago .Reply

Thanks for the feedback we are continuing to collect feedback on the potential interest for larger 4K monitors. As for G-SYNC there are multiple considerations including the size of the module and restrictions it may place when considering color calibration, OSD implementation and multiple display inputs on the monitor. As such we must carefully evaluate what our users are looking for in respect to all these points. Thank you for your feedback.

30. tom
    tom 2 months ago .Reply

Do you have any idea when Asus will implement HDMI 2.0?

How would that technology benefit this monitor?

31. dcasewoods
    dcasewoods 2 months ago .Reply

JJ! I know this is kind of unrelated, BUT when is the THunderboltEX II Dual going to be available for purchase! I’ve been waiting forever for this! Asus.com says it’s been “available for purchase” for over a month now! I know you can find out for me!

Keep us posted on this 4K jammer, for sure I’ll be buying it.

32. DKG
    DKG 2 months ago .Reply

When I 1st heard about the 39″ 4k prototype I was hyped. I’m looking for a replacement for my 42″ Plasma 1080p Screen which I currently use in my room for my PC. I cant stand small screens, so I’m only looking at 37″ to 42″ screens. When G-Sync was announced the idea of it as well as 4k at 39″ is just godlike, and the fact the VA panel is much cheaper than the IGZO panel in the 31.5 Inch screen meant the price was/is likely to be much more sensible (~£1,000).
    I urge Asus to produce a 39″ 4k Monitor with G-Sync, and don’t just make it professional grade with low Response times and blurring, ill be using it for Gaming myself and I know other people would as well.

JJ 2 months ago .Reply

Thank you for your feedback as always it is appreciated. We will continue to collect feedback from our users and the community as a whole in considering larger size monitors.

33. dcasewoods
    dcasewoods 2 months ago .Reply

impatience is kicking in!

34. George
    George 2 months ago .Reply

JJ,
    If you were looking for a monitor strictly for gaming would you pick 4k or the Swift ROG monitor? I will be using a GTX 780ti.
    ~G

JJ 1 month ago .Reply

It really comes down to preference. As 4K requires 2 GPUs ( starting with a GTX 770 and up ) I would most likely say the SWIFT is a better option. It provides you a higher native resolution ( 2560×1440 ) along with low input lag and high response performance ( 120Hz, 1ms response ). In addition you have support for technologies like G-SYNC and ULMB. Overall if your focus is gaming the SWIFT is a great choice and aligns performance wise with the GPU you have.

• yukkerz
        yukkerz 1 month ago .Reply

4k requires 2 gpus?

JJ 1 month ago .Reply

Depends on the game and IQ settings. For the most demanding titles yes I would state you ideally want to have 2 GPUs. Overall my minimum recommendation for 4GB is GTX 770 or R9 280X ( although the 280 ) could also be a choice.

35. Anarchist
    Anarchist 1 month ago .Reply

Its a thing of beauty

36. Stan
    Stan 1 month ago .Reply

Is there any chance we can get the PQ321Q updated with the G-Sync module? That monitor’s been out for almost a year probably a refresh is in store for this monitor. A 32 inch 4K IZGO monitor would be ideal for low latency and we could do away with MST by going with the G-Sync module. Even at $3000, the addition of the G-Sycn module and getting rid of MST would be worth it.

JJ 1 month ago .Reply

At this time there are no plans to offer the PQ321Q with a G-SYNC module. We are currently collecting information from our users and the community on interest in larger monitor as well as 4K monitors with G-SYNC support.

37. Fat Jerry the unslim Duke of York peppermint patties
    Fat Jerry the unslim Duke of York peppermint patties 1 month ago .Reply

JJ please tell me this baby is coming out before April 14! Otherwise I fear that I will not be able to wait :,-(

38. dcasewoods
    dcasewoods 1 month ago .Reply

JJ! I was just looking at the DigitalTrends review and it says that this monitor will include Thunderbolt 2 inputs! Is this true?! It would make sense, cuz Asus is a big proponent of Thunderbolt. If it is, I am truly excited!

39. nixonpc
    nixonpc 1 month ago .Reply

Samsung’s is coming out pretty soon, im assuming most of us are going to jump ship to theirs if we dont get any release dates solidified.

JJ 1 month ago .Reply

Understood we are internally still working out all the specifics to ensure once we release a more complete and defined timeline it is accurate.

• dcasewoods
      dcasewoods 1 month ago .Reply

Samsung IS out. It’s available on Newegg. You can also get the Dell for 1000- I bought it. Figured a 99% AdobeRGB IPS is worth the 200 dollar difference. Sorry JJ, still building an Asus LGA2011! Just got ahold of 2 titan blacks! SO stoked! I need a rig now or I’d wait for the Haswell-E, guess there’s always something better out there… Oh well.

• aldergod
        aldergod 1 month ago .Reply

Isn’t the Dell only a 30Hz monitor?

JJ 4 weeks ago .Reply

Yes one of the announced Dell 4K monitors is limited to 30Hz operation.

• dcasewoods
            dcasewoods 4 weeks ago .

Not the crapoy Dell. There are 3 4K Dell’s. There is the TN (like te Asus about to come out) and yes that is only 30Hz. Then there are two Pro level IPS displays, a 24″ and a 30″. I went for the 24″ and it was under a thousand. The 30hz is a joke. I have the MST 60hz DP 1.2

40. FireLord
    FireLord 1 month ago .Reply

JJ ! What prevents me from buying the Samsung 4k equivalent is the pivoting feature, the speakers and the input sources.
    In particular I’d like to know how the Picture by Picture function combines with the pivoting and how many sources are allowed at a time.

Plus any updates on potential release date?
    Thanks!

41. nixonpc
    nixonpc 1 month ago .Reply

Dcasewoods – the samsung isnt really all the way out. Sure, it’s out in Korea, and newegg is charging about $200 more to get it a few weeks sooner and have it shipped from Korea. I can wait a few weeks. There is no Dell out there for $1000. There is a crappy Dell 28″ UHD 30HZ out there for $800…but i hope you didnt buy that for your 2x Titan blacks….that would be one bad gaming experience! There is also a Dell 32″ 4k that will do 60hz, but it’s over $2k, just like the Asus 32″ 4K. Everyone is waiting for either this Asus PB287Q or the Samsung U28D590D, and i truely see no advantage to wait for the asus model if the samsung is ready to roll.

• Jimmy L.
      Jimmy L. 1 month ago .Reply

The Samsung listed for $870 on Newegg’s from a 3rd party so I don’t consider it truly sold by Newegg since they wouldn’t charge over MSRP. Also, the main reason I prefer the Asus over the Samsung is because it has a VESA mount whereas the Samsung doesn’t have it. I love my Ergotron desk arm mount & can’t live without it so need a monitor with this feature.

JJ 4 weeks ago .Reply

+1 for VESA mounts and Ergotron. I have seen an updated near MP sample and you are going to love this monitor the sheer size of a 3840 resolution desktop is awesome!

• dcasewoods
      dcasewoods 1 month ago .Reply

Fair enough on the Samsung. It does come from Korea, but it is definitly not overpriced by $200… It is on sale for $869.99 and the MRP is $799.99 on top of that, shipping is only $10.00 (source: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA2RY1DK9756)

AND YES, I ordered the Dell UltraSharp 24″ UP2414Q 4K (3840 x 2160 at 60Hz IPS Panel) DIRECT from Newegg for $998. They were running a Dell 10% off Sale at the time. The monitor is now priced at 1068.99 – Not too far off. So yes, there is a Dell 4K out there for under $1000 – I’m looking at it as we speak in my office as we speak. Here’s the link:

What are you some sort of Asus disinformation agent? Don’t get me wrong, I love Asus! And I love Dr. Asus! But, IMO $200 extra is a great deal for an IPS color-correct display.

• nixonpc
        nixonpc 2 weeks ago .Reply

Just FYI to others reading, the samsung is not MSRP $799.99, it is MSRP $699.99. I said $200 more as an around-about statement, sorry i could have said that newegg is selling the samsung for $169.99 more to be more exact.

42. Derek Bales
    Derek Bales 1 month ago .Reply

Wish we could get a real date on this monitor. Would prefer the Asus over the Samsung. Been trying hard to wait for this one but between the lack of a date and the fact the Samsung is a bit cheaper i might have to get the Samsung if we dont have some more definitive information about the release of the Asus soon. Also are there any plans for a nice monitor with a non-TN type panel that will be good for both gaming and graphical artists? It’s really quite annoying that currently it seems like you can only have one of the two, a low latency high refresh rate gaming monitor with a TN panel and crap color (VG248QE) or you get a nice panel with great color Precalibrated (PA249Q) but end up with a slow display. Are we ever going to have a display with a high quality, precalibrated color space, low latency and that doesnt use a TN panel so the few of us who dont want a multi monitor setup can actually enjoy both games and media on one display? Im sick of games looking like crap because of either poor color reproduction or latency issues. Would be really nice to see a true high end display that can cover both groups.

JJ 4 weeks ago .Reply

Appreciate your feedback and as I am sure you can understand different products are designed for different users along with the reality of differences in panel technology. With that noted keep an open mind as panel design are improving and TN and IPS should not be assumed as the only choices. We are actively looking at all options and feedback from across all our users and the display community to focus on products that meed the wants and needs of these individuals. The newest TN panels while not in the same class as IPS or PLS I will say are considerably improved when compared to previous generation TN Panel not only in viewing angles but in color saturation and black reproduction. With these type of new panels coming out as well as others being designed and developed we are looking at trying to find display technologies to incorporate to meet the criteria you have noted. This is something we have shown with the SWIFT which while not IPS is still a WQHD monitor with low response time, high refresh rate and solid viewing angles and good color reproduction. As is the case in most technical products there are a lot of details that need to be evaluated when ultimately deciding whether a product meets your criteria of importance and relevancy. Again appreciate your feedback and stay tuned.

43. Brian
    Brian 4 weeks ago .Reply

I bought one of those U28D590s from a Korean seller. It got here on Wednesday and I was so unhappy with it that I re-sold it to a local buyer on Friday! TN + AG is a no go for me, its AG coating made that 4k panel look like it needed 4xAA at all times!

I hope to God Asus uses full glossy on this 4k and Rog Swift offering, because TN+AG is a terrible combination no matter how many bit the TN is!

JJ 4 weeks ago .Reply

The PB uses an optimally paired polarizer similar to that used on the PQ321 which is designed for a very high degree of clarity and sharpness. With that noted it is not a “glossy” implementation.

44. fuck you asus
    fuck you asus 4 weeks ago .Reply

what a joke.
    why showcase a 39inch 4k monitor and then not release it?
    this thread alone proves tons of people want it. all surround users want it which is a huge market and no you don’t want to make money. what a joke.

JJ 4 weeks ago .Reply

Thank you for your feedback. We are committed to collecting feedback on the design and development of other 4K monitors outside of our current PQ321 and PB287Q.

• nixonpc
      nixonpc 1 week ago .Reply

LOL @ rager. Surround users are not a big market. The PC market gaming market as a whole is not that big of a market.

45. Josh M
    Josh M 4 weeks ago .Reply

Sad to hear that you guys won’t be releasing a 39″ screen anytime soon. I can’t ever see myself moving on from 1440p at the 27″-30″ form factor, and I was extremely excited when you teased the 39″ 4K screen last year.

Please reconsider releasing a larger (36″-46″) 4K screen aimed at gamers/general users (e.g. not graphics professionals with perfect colors… but no TN panel please).

A single screen at that size would be a really excellent solution for those of us who would like the screen real estate that multi-monitor affords, but who do not want to deal with bezels or extreme FOV in games.

JJ 4 weeks ago .Reply

Thank you for your feedback as always it is appreciated. We are continuing to collect information on products our users and the display community are interested in.

46. Alex
    Alex 4 weeks ago .Reply

Damn guys. Hello from trading community. i’m waiting for 39″ 4k !!!!!!!!!!! i want change my 3 monitors DELL 30″ 2560×1600 omg guys please do it.

JJ 3 weeks ago .Reply

Thanks for the feedback as always it is appreciated. Stay tuned for more information on upcoming monitor products.

47. Tadas
    Tadas 3 weeks ago .Reply

Hi, how it comperes with rog swift monitor same image quality? thanks

JJ 2 weeks ago .Reply

The Panels are entirely different and as such cannot be readily compared. It comes more down to the features and experience you are looking for. What would be your primary usage?

• Tadas
        Tadas 2 weeks ago .Reply

Primary usage, JJ youtube videos, read pcdiy news little gaming.

48. payluder
    payluder 3 weeks ago .Reply

The Samsung 4k is out for pre order now. Do you know when we can pre order this? I cant wait too long before I place an order.

• Derek Bales
      Derek Bales 2 weeks ago .Reply

I agree, Can we get a date on this? The Samsung will be out this month, im pretty sure if we dont get something definitive soon then most people are just going to buy the Samsung instead.

JJ 2 weeks ago .Reply

We understand the high degree of interest for this monitor and as soon as more specific information is available we will release it. Stay tuned.

• qwertybirdy
      qwertybirdy 2 weeks ago .Reply

A date would be grand.

JJ 2 weeks ago .Reply

At this we do not have a specific date but as soon as we do we will release it along with more information. Stay tuned.

49. disappointed
    disappointed 3 weeks ago .Reply

Seriously where is the 39″ 4K monitor? I have never even considered 28″…

JJ 2 weeks ago .Reply

Thanks for the feedback. We are still collecting feedback on aspects to consider in the specifications and designs of our next 4K monitors.

50. Daniel
    Daniel 3 weeks ago .Reply

Hey JJ, would a single titan black be able to withstand 4k res I’m looking to get them in sli in the close future but want to know if it would be playable with just a single for now.

JJ 2 weeks ago .Reply

It really depends on the game engine and the I settings. Overall a TITAN will definitely be able to play almost any title at this resolution but depending on the IQ settings this will vary from very fluid and responsive to being inconsistent in frame timing/latency and overall FPS. Your proposed configuration of two TITANS though is perfect for 4K even if you are targeting very demanding titles with high IQ settings enabled.

51. Tom
    Tom 2 weeks ago .Reply

Will this monitor have a faster refresh rate in any other resolution, or is 60HZ the max speed, no matter the resolution?

JJ 2 weeks ago .Reply

The programmed refresh rate is 60Hz reagrdless of the resolution.

52. Saddy
    Saddy 2 weeks ago .Reply

Hi JJ,

First time here, btw love your videos on youtube.
    I know the release date is still a mystery, however can you at least give us a ball park estimate so that I can make a more sensible decision as i need a new monitor. Thanks much!

JJ 2 weeks ago .Reply

Currently discussing with our HQ team to try and approximate a realistic availability date. Stay tuned for more information.

• alex
        alex 2 weeks ago .Reply

Thanks JJ we certainly excited. I plan to pre-order if possible.

JJ 2 weeks ago .Reply

We are looking into options for possible preorder but at this time this is not confirmed. Stay tuned for more information.

• alex
        alex 2 weeks ago .Reply

I should also mention pcdiy’s webpage is really well made. kudos.

JJ 2 weeks ago .Reply

Thanks appreciate the feedback. All this thanks goes to our social media manager Erik and our coder Shane! as well as our original PCDIY admin Dennis. I will pass the kudos to them!

53. alex
    alex 2 weeks ago .Reply

unsure if this is a reliable source or outdated information but
    translated:
    Interface, PB287Q provides Displayport × 1, HDMI 1.4 × 1 and HDMI 1.4/MHL × 1. Meanwhile, the product built-in 2W × 2 stereo sound, as part of the user to purchase a separate exemption speaker trouble.
    As a true 4K monitors for mainstream consumers, ASUS PB287Q Overall very competitive, no accident, then in mid-April to meet with domestic consumers, let us wait and see

JJ 2 weeks ago .Reply

This was based on the initial early information released at CES. Stay tuned for the most up to date correct information regarding final specifications and availability.

54. nkill
    nkill 1 week ago .Reply

I have been building a new rig just for this monitor! I only have the 780 ti’s left!

55. alex
    alex 4 days ago .Reply

please send one over to linustechtips for a review when they are available. He has a huge following.

56. alex
    alex 2 days ago .Reply

bored speculation: asus is likely waiting for enough of the chips needed for single stream transport.